Last year we started a new tradition where we paint a pumpkin in October. Until last year I had never painted a pumpkin but I was confident it wouldn’t be that difficult. My oldest son was 3 at the time and I was nervous he would make a huge mess so I used washable paint. After the first night we had to move the pumpkin to a place it wouldn’t get wet because the dew had started taking the paint off.
This year we stepped up our game. In late September we took a trip to Burt’s Farm in Dawsonville, GA where we each picked out a pumpkin. I decided that the kids and I were going to paint ours and Matt is planning to crave his pumpkin closer to Halloween. Be sure to follow Laughing Lemons on Instagram to see what he craves. Here are the boys pumpkins before we put paint on them.
Hunter and I painted our pumpkins one afternoon while Miles was napping. He wanted to paint Raphael from Ninja Turtles because his favorite color is red. I helped him draw out the face and then sent him to work painting the pumpkin green. He did a pretty good job for his first time. We did have to wait for each color to dry before applying the next color which he found boring and allowed me time to touch-up a couple of missed spots.
I decided to paint my pumpkin black and gold striped. Once I painted the black strips I realized that the gold glitter paint I had was really just glitter paint that is tinted gold so I had to get actual gold paint before I could finish my pumpkin.
Miles and I finished painting our pumpkins last night. I wanted something really easy for him since he is 1.5 so I took painters tape and taped the word Boo on his pumpkin. The plan was to just pour paint on it and then let the paint slide down the sides. I realized pretty quickly that my idea wasn’t going to work well for him so I gave him a paint brush and hoped he wouldn’t get paint on his clothes. We used CraftMart paint that I bought at Michael’s. I think he enjoyed himself and even Hunter, Matt and myself jumped in and helped.
We had to wait overnight for Miles’ pumpkin to dry since we painted late afternoon and it wasn’t very warm to help the move along the drying process. This morning while the boys were in school I pulled the tape off and noticed two I will do differently next year if we use this idea again. One, I will make the word smaller and second, I will use an orange pumpkin. I think the orange pumpkin would have had better contrast causing the boo to be easier to read. With that said I’m still happy with the results.
Notice we didn’t paint the full way to the bottom. This was to avoid paint getting on the concrete or getting stuck to paper/cardboard. Also it is not noticeable when you are standing next to the pumpkins.